Sunday, 22 January 2012

Googong Walk

It's been a while, but this morning I woke up with a severe case of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).  I was so sore and stiff that I wasn't even sure if I could roll over onto my stomach!  However, I had organised a walk out at Googong and that was enough to spur me out of bed and to get ready.

I was really impressed with how close my house is to the Ranger Station - only 6 minutes away!!  It's been so long since I have been out there, but I think I have now found another exercise location!  There are a few walks out there, so I have a few options, and it's not as far away as Tidbinbilla (as much as I love it out there, it can just be a little too far!)

When I arrived at the Ranger Station, there were already 2 people there, we were then met by another lady and her daughter.  None of us had met before, so we spent the walk getting to know each other. It was great to meet some more new people!  I think it's really important to meet new people and make more friends on this program, I think the more support you have, and that you give, the more that you are likely to succeed.  It was overcast, and I was a little worried that we might get rained out, but we were lucky because the rain held off - we only got a couple of drops!

We had to drive to get to where we start the walk (after a short detour because I missed the turn off!! haha!!), and I have to say that the rain has done some good, because the path was a bit overgrown!  I don't think the rangers have had a chance to clear it up again (or not many people do the walk lol!)  There was some great scenery and lots of kangaroos - in fact there were some sitting on the path at one stage and we stopped until they moved off.

It took us about an hour to do a 4km walk - and that included a very steep hill and a few rocky parts!!!  This walk was labelled easy, but I don't think that it was... I found it a little challenging to be honest (my heart rate peaked at 177bpm!) and I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath.  Overall, I burned 586 calories this morning!!  Such a great workout!!


No comments:

Post a Comment