Wednesday, 4 April 2012

"You are a very visual learner"

So, after a couple of sad, frustrating and stress filled days, I have been thinking a lot about 'my kind of learning', as in how can I study/learn better that works well for me. I have always thought I was a visual learner, but I know that this can change over time, so I went googling (or binging as the case may be lol) and I came across a couple of articles, including a quiz.

This is the result I got:
You are a very visual learner.
You probably use visual references a lot and say things like "I see now" or "I get the picture." You like to see demonstrations, diagrams, slides, charts, and other visual aids in the classroom. You take great notes and you probably use color coded highlighting. You could benefit by drawing outlines of your notes and creating pictures of processes or events that you study. Always write down explanations and instructions. Use flash cards when available.
Funnily enough, I do actually write in different colours, and I had a bit of a chuckle.  You see, this is what my notebook looks like:
My chemistry notebook - isn't it pretty??

There are 4 different colours on that page!  I also use different colours to write out my flash cards and yesterday I was thinking that what I really need to start doing is to summarise my lecture notes in my own words so that I have to think about the content and have it in a way that I understand... Admittedly, my next thought after this was "When will I find time for that?!"  In saying that though, I am hoping that the more I do it, the more I can train my brain to be used to it and get better at it.

When I was studying for my exams, I turned the whiteboard in the study into a huge visual aid - note all the colours? Most of the equations are colour coded! haha! Having that there was great to be able to look at, but I find that writing it down helps most. I think that I am going to have to find a way to make this whiteboard work more for me.

I have also got a couple of the Chemistry for Dummies e books which I will be going through, as I really like the examples they use. I really feel that at this point in time, I really need to take everything back to basics and just understand it all in the simplest way possible that works for me... I even came across a Chemistry for Dummies Workbook, which I hope will also help me have a step-by-step process that is easy to understand for my final exam (which I need to get at least 40% in).

I know that given the time, I could figure the question out.  In my chem labs and tutes I am getting 80-90% most of the time, so something must be working, I think it just takes me a bit longer to work through what the question is asking me.

Most of the times, I just want to know what it is and why it does whatever it is doing.  It doesn't need to be explained in 10 pages of textbook text, just a simple similie and explanation usually work for me.

Somehow, I need to find a way to stop overthinking it all and stressing myself out...

(btw - sorry for yet another non-weightloss related post! haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment