Monday, 9 July 2012

Mini PT Session: Feel the BURN!

Well, I had my PT session today and OMG... I can feel my muscles!!!  I am 99% sure I will have DOMS over the next couple of days!!

I had a about a half hour session with a PT at my gym, I quite like him.  He is probably the first PT I have felt comfortable around and, well I wouldn't say relaxed, but relaxed as much I could be in that kind of situation.

I gotta say... it was pretty hard!!  Some of the exercises I struggled to get through (really struggled!!) but I think the part that I found the hardest was that, well... I was embarrassed!  It was through no fault of my PT, but I was reminded by how much I could do... and what I really struggle with now. I was also a little embarrassed that I was 'performing' in front of a bunch of blokes in the weights area... A year ago it wouldn't have bothered me, and I would have just gone in and done what I needed to do, but I felt insecure because of what I felt I couldn't do.

However, in saying that, I am really trying to focus on the positives, like "Now I can really see how much I will improve!", "How great will it be when you need to up your weights!" and "At least your not sitting on the couch anymore!"

There were a few exercises I didn't think I would be able to do due to my injury that I am really excited that I can do (namely the rowing machine!) and I am excited that I get to use the assisted chin up machine... for some strange, twisted reason, I just love this machine... no idea why... must be because I have to climb to get onto it, or more than likely cos I just feel so damn tough! haha!!  There was one point though where I did tell the PT "I really hate you right now..." so, he must have been pushing me lol

I am thinking that I might put another tab at the top of this page where I can put in my starting exercise regime and use it as a "milestone achiever" so that I can see how much I improve.

The plan he has given me (below) is for 3 days a week, and he has suggested that on the other days that I go for an hours walk... I might be able to do that around here (if I am going to drive anywhere to walk it will probably be the gym after work lol), but I am tempted to drive 10 minutes up the road in the mornings and walk at Googong... maybe once a week or something... will have to think about it... I spose I could go to the town park... but walking circles around that is a bit too boring for me... and I love doing bushwalks...

So, my current gym work out will be like this:

Warm Up
  • 5 minutes Cross-Trainer
Strength
  • Deadlifts: 3 sets of 8 (bar only)
  • Squats (touch chair): 3 sets of 8 (5kg plate)
  • Pull ups: 3 sets of 10 (70kg)
  • Wide Grip Seated Cable Row: 3 sets of 12 (10kg)
Circuit/Toning
  • Push ups: 3 sets of 10 (4 steps under platform) alternate with rower
  • Rowing Machine: 3 sets of 200m (level 6)
  • Swiss Ball Wall Squat: 3 sets of 10 (as low as possible) alternate with bike
  • Bike: 3 sets of 200m
  • Push Press: 3 sets of 10 (25 pounds) alternate with cross-trainer
  • Cross Trainer: 3 sets of 200m
Core
  • Plank: 3 sets of 30 seconds
  • Superman: 3 sets of 20

So it's actually a pretty intense session... well, at this point in time I think it is!! I don't know how I am going to get through it all!!! I only did about half an hour today and burned 276 calories! It's gonna be a good challenge though I think!!  I now have another session with him for the same time next Monday.  I was supposed  to stay today and finish off the session (as I pretty much only did 1 rep of everything), but I found out yesterday that they moved my statistics exam 2 days earlier!! GAH! So I came straight home and got stuck into the study again!

A few weeks ago I came across this picture and filed it away for future reference (I think I may have found it on facebook lol), but this was me today...


2 comments:

  1. Great job chicken! It is hard to work out in front of all those buff men sometimes! My spin cycle points my bum straight at them, so I gotta just block it out! I am seriously thinking about getting some PT sessions myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe!! Yeah I think just blocking it out and getting on with it is the key!!

      I get 2 free ones at the gym, so I'm gonna try them and see how I go. I don't think I have enough cash flow for a PT and gym fees, so I'm happy to just have a starting point :)

      Delete